Thursday, October 15, 2009

From DESAUSA.ORG



USS CURRIER DE 700
"I believe that the picture was taken in the 50s, I left her in 1948."
Photo courtesy of Rusty Nichols
Update 9 January 2005
Fri, 7 Jan 2005 From: George Nichols mailto:rusty.nichols@worldnet.att.netatt.net
Just to let you know, the original Commissioning Pennant of DE 700 is on display in locker 12 aboard USS Slater DE 766, in Albany, NY. I donated the pennant to the DE museum for future generations to view.
The pennant was originally given to Charles Hendrix, a plankowner of DE 700, by his Captain when Mr. Hendrix left the ship. Mr. Hendrix died last year not long after the annual DE 700 reunion.
At this year's reunion in York, PA, Mr. Hendrix's widow, Eva, gave the pennant to Cecil Medford to give to me. Eva left it to me to do what was best with the pennant.
At the time, I did not know what Cecil Medford had given me. The pennant was rolled up and there was so much going on that I did not look at what was handed to me. I just put it in the room in my suit case.
When I arrived home and unpacked my suitcase I was dumfounded to find such a Prize!!!
Later, Cecil sent me two more things he said would be of interest to me. One item was a Zippo lighter with the ships name on it and the other was an old match book cover also bearing the ship's name! I donated these items to SLATER and they are also in locker 12.

The lighter was of great interest because a year before there was a story in the American Legion Magazine about Zippo lighters in WW11 and would you know that pictured lighter was engraved USS CURRIER DE 700. I never dreamed that I would ever see one, but I did. Now others can see it too.
Friday, October 22, 2004 5:55 PM
Subject: Re: Currier Commissioning Penant
Hello Rusty:I cannot tell you how pleased I am to learn that the USS Currier's original commissioning pennant has been preserved will be permanently displayed in her museum locker aboard the USS Slater.Every man who served in the Currier owes you and the others who made this happen our heartfelt thanks. Well done, Rusty.
Richard Bale
webmaster note: Mr. Bale has written a book, "Currier's Travels", about the history of DE 700. He was a post-WWII crewmember.

2 comments: